A 6-year-old haredi boy remains hospitalized today after drinking bleach yesterday which was brought into the child’s home on Ben-Zakai Street in Bnei Brak in an empty soda bottle and was meant to used to clean the home for Passover.
6-Year-Old Haredi Child Drinks Bleach In Passover Cleaning Mishap
Shmarya Rosenberg • FailedMessiah.com
A 6-year-old haredi boy remains hospitalized today after drinking bleach yesterday which was brought into the child’s home on Ben-Zakai Street in Bnei Brak in an empty soda bottle and was meant to used to clean the home for Passover, Yeshiva World reported.
As it does several times every Passover season, the haredi EMT service Ichud (United) Hatzalah issued another warning to parents and caregivers to be especially careful now because so many various cleaning agents are brought into homes to prepare for Passover, which starts Friday night, while at the same time children are off from school and underfoot. The combination of frantic cleaning in preparation for the holiday and the presence of children dramatically increases the risk of accidental ingestion of or unsafe contact with these caustic and often poisonous cleaning agents.
Child safety and poison control experts recommend that bleach and other dangerous products be kept in their original packaging and clearly labelled so children are less likely to mistake them for food, candy or soda and ingest them. They also recommend keeping all such dangerous products out the reach of young children at all times. When used, such products should remain in the control of a responsible adult or teenager, and if the person using the cleaning product needs to step away from the area being cleaned to use a restroom or answer a phone, the product should either be brought by that person to the new location or put away safely out of reach before attending to the phone or other needs.
The 6-year-old is listed in light condition.