Hanukkah Menorah Fire Burns Down Haredi House
Shmarya Rosenberg • FailedMessiah.com
A two-story home in a haredi neighborhood in Ramapo, New York was destroyed by fire early Friday evening after residents lit a Hanukkah menorah and left it unattended.
"It appears the homeowner had lit a menorah candle and left the room. When they came back, they smelled smoke and saw fire on the table,” Hillcrest 2nd Assistant Fire Chief Chris Bowers told the Journal News. The homeowner allegedly tried to put extinguish the fire but failed.
Approximately 60 firefighters from several different local villages fought the fire beginning at approximately 5:00 pm. One of them, a firefighter from Hillcrest, was reportedly treated at the scene for minor burns. None of the home’s occupants were injured and all escaped on their own without assistance.
The home is reportedly uninhabitable and its occupants are staying with neighbors.