Marisa Trachtenberg from the Five Towns area was recently arrested for allegedly sexually abusing a very young child.
I'm told she worked in a number of Torah-Umesora-linked preschools, and that there could be many more potential victims.
Update 1-24-2014 – The alleged victim was apparently a teenage girl.
I was just told by a reporter from the New York Post that the charges against Trachtenberg were dismissed, but the reporter did not provide any specifics about when they were dismissed or why they were dismissed and refused to provide me with the relevant court documents or any specifics, even though she claimed to have them.
The NY Post's reporter told me that Trachtenberg has filed suit against me. The New York Post is doing a story on the lawsuit. I have not been served and had no prior knowledge of the lawsuit.
The NY Post reporter old me that Trachtenberg's attorney "says he got no response from you at all after sending a cease and desist letter alerting you that the information was defamatory."
I told the New York Post's reporter that was false, and I shared the following email to me from Trachtenberg's attorney dated October 2, 2013 and my response to that attorney sent to him less than two hours later:
Re: Marisa Trachtenberg,
To whom it may concern:
Pleased be advised that we represent Marisa Trachtenberg. Your website contains inaccurate hurtful information regarding our client. We would like to avoid a defamation of character suit and please ask that you kindly remove this article from your website. Please contact our offices to discuss this matter further.
Very truly yours,
John A. Santora, Esq.
Noting that Trachtenberg's attorney had provided no specifics about what was inaccurate or hurtful, or what he would be basing a defamation lawsuit on, I responded this way:
She was arrested, as you know, and you have no legal basis for a lawsuit.
Trachtenberg's attorney did not respond to me or provide me with any information.
(I've posted a screenshot of the entire email exchange with Trachtenberg's attorney at the bottom of this post.)
The NY Post's reporter responded that, "I understand your point about the attorney."
I also told the NY Post reporter that, "[t]his was the extent of the communication. He [Trachtenberg's attorney] never responded and the burden was – and remains– on him to provide specifics showing what I posted was defamatory and to provide proof. He did neither. Again, if he had, I would have updated my post."
I told the NY Post reporter that based on the above email exchange from Trachtenberg's attorney, she should be suing him, not me.
I've since found out two facts the NY Post reporter may not know.
1. The Post met with haredi leaders recently in a meeting arranged and hosted by Agudath Israel of America to discuss the Post's Who Didn't Want Him Dead? cover on the Menachem Stark kidnap-murder.
2. Zev Brenner is allegedly doing his radio show tomorrow night on anti-Semitism in the news media based on the Post's cover. The NY Post was allegedly invited to appear on that show but has, I was just told, declined to do so.
Is it a coincidence that the NY Post is doing a story on Trachtenberg and my coverage of her case later tonight or tomorrow?
No one I've spoken to so far thinks that it is.
• Again, Trachtenberg was arrested and indicted.
• The source who tipped me off to the arrest and indictment is an anti-child-sex-abuse activist who has been involved in dozens of cases.
• When that activist told me about the arrest and indictment, he said victim was "a young child" but wasn't specific about the age because the activist did not know exactly what the victim's age was when the alleged assault took place.
• When I spoke to the activist this afternoon, the activist said that the victim was "a young child," about 14 or 15 years old at the time of the assault, and did not realize I had been misled (or had misunderstood) by what he told me months ago. He also reiterated the fear that there could be more victims.
• When I first reported this story the criminal case against Trachtenberg was active. You can see that by the court documents posted here – the same court documents that were posted here on August 27, 2013 the day I wrote the original post about Trachtenberg and published it, and they have been posted here every day thereafter.
• As of today, I still have been shown no proof of how the case was concluded or that it even was concluded.
Please click to enlarge: