I just got the following report from a Crown Heights resident who…
…asked me if I was following recent developments in Crown Heights.
I asked him what new happened over Shabbos. What follows is his repy:
a fight Friday night at about 1am. not sure who started, a Jew and a African American arrested. both were let out.
on shabbas afternoon rock throwing at a shul (bais shmuel, located in yeshiva chovovua torah on the corner of eastern parkway and albany).
tonight, black male assaulted a Jewish man as he was on his way home from Shul. NYPD officers released the attacker and attempted to arrest the Jewish Crown Heights resident who was pinning him down.
a knife was pulled on a jewish women i think everyone is ok
the kid beat up Thursday is using a tube to eat, his jaw is broken. people are really scared to walk alone. its very bad.
I think a few things should be clear.
- If cops don't get a handle on this soon, there will be massive riots in Crown Heights. Look for that to happen on the first really hot summer night.
- Jews – who scream antisemitism at every turn – are actually seeing some antisemitism combined with crime. In other words, many of these same criminals who attack Jews also attack Blacks.
- Police don't like it when one of their own – or a child of one of their own – are attacked and beaten. Jews attacked and assaulted the son of a policeman who was doing nothing other than walking home after school – and then the Crown Heights Jewish community refused to give police information on the Jewish attackers, claiming mesiara law, the haredi Omerta, as their reason. How do you think police would react to this? How about local Blacks?
- In other words, the assault on that Black teenager and the reaction of Crown Heights Jews to that assault has all but guaranteed police anger and Black riots.
- None of this is meant to justify riots, God forbid, or antisemitism.
- Antisemitism does not flourish in a vacuum, and riots would not happen if there were not the widespread perception in the Black community that Jews both get special favors from the government (which, when it comes to government programs like housing is largely true) and treat non-Jews as less than equals. Jews and blacks live side-by-side in Crown Heights but have almost no interaction. Not an occasional game of cards, a shared baseball game or even just a brief chat over the fence. Jews walk past elderly Blacks without saying hello just as Jews walk past 17 year old Black males without saying hello – it is not an issue of fear, it is an issue of fundamental lack of respect.
If Jews want to head off a riot, they'll have to act fast, and that action must include cooperating with police and reaching out to Black neighbors.
The problem is, Jewish Crown Heights is fractured, divided, and ripped apart by turf wars and political disputes while at the same time being led by a generation of droning midgets. I don't think the community has what it takes to stave off massive violence.
Either someone takes charge immediately and forces change or the whole place, I fear, will go up in smoke.