Originally published at 10:57 pm CDT 5-7-2014
Multiple Child Sex Abuse Victims Suing Chabad In Melbourne
Shmarya Rosenberg • FailedMessiah.com
The Australian Jewish News is reporting new information on the lawsuit by former Melbourne Chabad Yeshivah College student Manny Waks against the school and its leadership for negligence over child sex abuse that happened under their watch.
Waks was sexually abused by David Cyprys. Cyprys worked at the Chabad school and had a known history of child sex abuse. Even so, senior Chabad rabbis hired him and protected him.
Cyprys is now serving eight years in jail after being found guilty of repeatedly raping one child and pleaded guilty to abusing many others.
The AJN reports that Cyprys is thought to be one of 13 defendants listed in Waks’ lawsuit, which was filed with the Supreme Court last year.
Friday a judge granted Waks an extension of time to serve the lawsuit because the statute of limitations on the suit was about to expire. This is the second extension Waks has received.
“I have previously made clear my intention to pursue civil action against the Yeshivah Centre. I have also made it abundantly plain why I have taken this action, and repeatedly called for the Yeshivah Centre to accept responsibility for their actions. The matter is now before the courts and I cannot comment further, but of course I hope for a compassionate and fair response from the Yeshivah Centre,” Waks told the AJN.
Yeshivah Centre’s current top rabbi, Rabbi Yehoshua Smukler, reportedly declined the AJN’s request for comment.
The AJN also reported that there are multiple other victims of child sexual abuse the Chabad school who are at “various stages of similar actions against the centre and its leadership.”
Chabad repeatedly covered up child sexual abuse at Yeshivah Center and helped at least one pedophile flee the country to escape possible prosecution. That pedophile, David Kramer, went on to sexually abuse at least one other child and was imprisoned in the US for it.
A former head of the school, Rabbi Avrohom Glick, told law enforcement that he had no knowledge of the abuse until long after it took place but retracted that statement when under oath in a Melbourne court during a criminal proceeding against one of the pedophiles.
“I’m making that amendment because I said [the late head of Chabad in Melbourne] Rabbi [Yitzchok Dovid] Groner never divulged the names of individuals, and I am now saying that is not 100 per cent accurate. There were two times when he named individuals,” Glick told the court.
In open court in May 2012, Judge Luisa Bazzani said it was “unfathomable’ that Glick did not know about the child sexual abuse allegations at the time they were first made.