The Pike County sheriff released the Affidavit of Probable cause against Rabbi Aryeh Goodman of Chabad of East Brunswick, New Jersey. It explains what Goodman allegedly did to a young camper in 2001, and it also tells some of the story of how police got the goods on him.
Originally published at 9:21 pm CST 1-9-2013
Rabbi Aryeh Goodman, the rabbi of Chabad of East New Brunswick, New Jersey, was arrested on child sexual abuse charges late last week.
This is what the Affidavit of Probable Cause alleges Goodman, now 30-years-old, did to a student in Camp Menachem, a Chabad (messianist) sleepover camp, in 2001:
• The alleged victim says that while he was in school in the spring of 2001, Goodman approached him and asked if he would like to attend camp at Camp Menachem that summer. Goodman said that he was a counselor there and promised that if the victim agreed to attend, Goodman would be his counselor.
• The alleged victim attended the camp and Goodman was indeed his counselor. Approximately 15 boys were in his group. They all shared a bunk area with bunk beds.
• The alleged victim said Goodman slept in the same area as the campers.
• The alleged victim said he woke up more than 10 times to find Goodman in bed with him. Touching occurred on at least 10 occasions and the alleged victim was positive that it was Goodman who was touching him.
• More inappropriate touching allegedly occurred during an overnight trip. Goodman zipped his sleeping bag and the boy’s sleeping bag together and fondled the boy during the night.
• On Oct. 19, 2012, Detective Jeannette Sbordone from the Brooklyn District Attorney’s office assisted with the recording of a 24-minute conversation between the alleged victim and Goodman. Goodman told the victim that he frequently thinks about the incidents and is embarrassed by what happened. Goodman also told the victim that apologizing to him was not enough, and asked if there is anything he (Goodman) could offer to the alleged victim to make the situation better. Goodman also repeatedly apologized. He said that he was sorry for hurting the alleged victim and admitted doing things to the alleged victim that should have never have been done to someone of that age, admitting that he touched the alleged victim inappropriately.
• In that same recording, when Goodman was asked repeatedly by the alleged victim to explain why he had sexually abused him, Goodman responded by saying that he did not know why he did it.
Related Post: Chabad Rabbi Arrested On Child Sex Abuse Charges.