Accused Hasidic Child Sex Abuser Says He Counseled Alleged Pre-Teen Victim "To Save Her Life" From Immodest Tights
Weberman was also confronted with financial records that showed his charity’s credit cards were used at BMG Corset & Lingerie, The Lingerie Shop and other undergarment stores. “Me, myself, I’m not aware of this,” Weberman said. “This is the first time I heard about it,” Weberman reportedly answered.
Originally published on 12-5-2012 at 9:09 pm CST
The Daily News has a good report on today's testimony in the trial of accused child sexual abuser Rabbi Nechemya Weberman. Here's a brief summary.
1. Weberman said he, “never, ever” sexually abused children.
2. He testified that he founded a charity and used it to pay for his salary and his kids’ education. (This is probably tax fraud.)
3. Weberman was confronted with financial records that showed his charity’s credit cards were used at BMG Corset & Lingerie, The Lingerie Shop and other undergarment stores. “Me, myself, I’m not aware of this,” Weberman said. “This is the first time I heard about it,” Weberman reportedly answered.
4. The charity’s only principals are Weberman and his wife, Chaya Golda
5. In one month, the charity paid out close to $12,000 to Weberman and to Satmar schools for Weberman’s children’s tuition.
6. “Did you use this not-for-profit for your own personal gain?” Assistant District Attorney Kevin O’Donnell reportedly asked Weberman. “Yes, I did,” Weberman reportedly replied.
And then there was this:
…a woman named Baila Gluck, 23, testified about residing at Weberman’s home office for a couple of years as a teen. She stayed in the same apartment as the alleged victim in the case being tried had claimed she was forced to perform oral sex and reenact porn starting in 2007.
Gluck said after she had no place to stay following troubles at home, “He offered (for me) to come live at his house.” She added that during her time there, two other girls occasionally stayed in the flat.
One of those girls has told authorities she caught Weberman and Gluck in a compromising position. That person refused to testify for fear of retribution, a source said.
But Gluck, asked if one of the girls ever walked in and saw her sitting on Weberman’s lap while he had an erection, replied “No.”
She also denied being taken by Weberman to buy lingerie and bras and also a claim that she told the other housemate, when discussing the counselor, “I had to do what I had to do to get by.”…
Gluck was also asked, “Isn't it true that masked individuals came into your bedroom in the middle of the night and seized your cell phone? And that this is the type of action Va’ad Hatznius takes when Satmar don't follow the rules? And wasn't it traumatic for you?” She reportedly answered yes to each of those questions.
Weberman's alleged victim, who turned 18-years-old Wednesday, previously testified that she got into trouble with Satmar school officials and was forced to go to Weberman for counseling because she had questions about God's existence and, more importantly, because she wore tights that were not thick enough. Her former principal later testified and supported the girl's claim about her tights, noting that the then-12-year-old girl's modesty standards were not in accord with Satmar norms.
Today Weberman was asked by his lawyer to explain what the point was in sending the girl to him for counseling. What was the counseling supposed to achieve?
“To save her life,” Weberman reportedly answered.