Levi Aron Fit To Stand Trial
Update 11:55 am CDT – Here is a summary of what took place in court today:
1. Levi Aron’s attorneys are still considering an insanity defense.
2. “He understands the nature of the charges and the proceedings and can assist in his defense. [Being found competent to stand trial] is not a rendering on sanity or insanity.…We believe him to have some psychiatric disorders,” Aron’s attorney Pierre Bazile said after today’s hearing. Jennifer McCann, another of Aron’s attorneys, added that it could take two months for psychological experts to evaluate him.
3. Aron’s next court appearance is scheduled for Sept. 19.
4. Bazile and McCann said they will request a change of venue from Brooklyn then. “He may not be able to get a fair trial in Brooklyn because the community’s rancor has been riled, it has been so stirred up against the defendant,” Bazile said.
5. McCann told reporters that this case “was no different than the D.W.I.’s and the traffic tickets and the other murder cases. They are defendants, they have rights and we are here to defend them.” The crowd made up of ultra-Orthodox observers and others, reacted with shock to that statement and challenged McCann. “Is it more emotional, more difficult because of the evidence?” McCann answered. “Absolutely. This case isn’t easy for us to handle, either, but his rights are the same. When I defend those rights, I defend yours, too.”