Sex And Abuse Of Power Scandal: Tropper Resigns From Yeshiva, Agrees To Move Out Of Monsey
The Five Towns Jewish Times reports:
…In order to forestall the consequences of severe Rabbinic censure [from the newly convened beit din], one of the Rabbis, Rabbi Yisroel Dovid Schlesinger, associated with a good friend of Leib Tropper, prevailed upon Tropper to sign an agreement [Sunday evening] at the eleventh hour in which he would both step down and agree to a number of the demands of the Rabbis.
The agreement that Tropper signed began, “In not fulfilling the requirement of Shulchan Aruch that a leader be “Pircho No’eh”, the undersigned is relinquishing his position..” It further stated that he releases all rights and severs any connection he has to his former Yeshiva in Monsey and withdraws forthwith as a trustee of the organization.
Tropper also agreed to move out of Monsey within a few months.
The agreement further stipulated that he will contact all the Rabbonim who signed letters and affidavits on his behalf and ask that those letters be withdrawn. He also promised never to use the copies of any such letters he may have obtained in that regard.
The Rabbonim and those involved in making sure that the process has kept on course, have, in the past few weeks, received numerous messages attempting to interfere with the proceedings from various individuals. They remain undeterred both by the attempts at interference and numerous forms of harassment that include phone calls to their homes throughout the night, taxicabs falsely ordered to their homes, and threatening calls. One individual even received a rifle scope sent to his home. The latter incident is still being investigated.
Some askanim have expressed disappointment that the agreement did not deal specify specific future activities in which he would refrain from partaking. However, it was pointed out to them that the Kol Koreh can still be signed in the future, if the situation will warrant it.…
There is no definitive word yet on whether Tropper also resigned from Horizons, the parent body of both Eternal Jewish Family and Kol Yaakov yeshiva. There is also no word yet on when, or even if, the complete agreement Tropper signed will be made public.
Here's a list of rabbis involved in the beit din:
Rabbi Dovid Ribiat; Rabbi Moshe Green, Rosh Yeshiva of Yeshiva D’Monsey; Rabbi Shlomo Breslauer, rabbi of Beis Tefillah; Rabbi Yisroel Dovid Schlesinger, of K’hal Shaarei Tefillah; Rabbi Chaim Schabes the Morah D’Asra of Knesses Yisroel in New Hempstead; Rabbi Shlomo Zalman Kaufman, Dayan of the Beis Horaah Beis Din; and Rabbi Ben Tzion Kokis, rav of K’hal Zichron Mordechai in South Monsey.
Sunday night these rabbis and others were scheduled to sign a proclamation against Tropper, calling on him to resign from all his rabbinic posts and move out of town.
The agreement Tropper signed preempted the release of that proclamation.
Here is more from the 5TJT:
- In not fulfilling the requirement of the Shulchan Aruch that a leader be pirko no’eh, I am permanently and irrevocably resigning from all positions, severing all connection and relinquishing all titles and decision-making authority with respect to Kol Yaakov Torah Center, Inc. a/k/a Yeshiva Kol Yaakov (“Kol Yaakov”), effective immediately, including without limitation the position of Rosh Yeshiva, maggid shiur, trustee, and all other positions in connection with the institution, administration, or students of Kol Yaakov.
- This does not constitute a relinquishment of monetary rights, if any, that I might have al pi halacha in any financial assets of the yeshiva.
- Subject to the approval of Rabbi Moshe Green, I request that Rabbi Aron Schechter, Rabbi Elya Ber Wachtfogel and Rabbi Dovid Wolpin, or substitutes each may designate for themselves, choose a new Rosh Yeshiva for Kol Yaakov.
- I will move out of Monsey in the very near future, but no later than the summer of this year.
- Compliance with the above should close the matter. There should be no harassment, slander or other damage – physical, monetary or otherwise – to any of the rabbonim, askanim, witnesses, or others involved in this matter.
UPDATE: Noon CST – The Documents.